Open water swimming is extremely popular with Club Members and takes place from early May to the end of September (depending on water temperature). To enable you to take part in open water swimming sessions with the club, you must:
- Be a current member of the Club
- Accepted the indemnity waiver during registration or under your details page
- Wear a wetsuit and visible swim cap
- Be prepared to take a turn in the kayak or spot on the pontoon (Ardingly reservoir only - see below)
- We also offer one off taster sessions for £6.00. These are available at one of our organised sessions on the first Saturday of the month June to September, or at any of our Tuesday/Saturday sessions if you know a current member and you persuade them to accompany you.
- To book/pay for a Taster session register to join here. Once you have completed the process you will be contacted by our Coordinator Julie Williams to arrange the session date/times.
Every open water swimmer must accept the indemnity form during registration on the website for the forthcoming season/year and read the risk assessments and club policies. The reservoir authorities require new indemnity acceptance each year from each swimmer - those completed last year are redundant.
Our venue is at:
We have two weekly sessions run by the Club
- Saturday mornings 08:30-10:00
- Tuesday evenings 18:00-19:30
The cost for members is £4.00 per swim. You can buy credits on the website on your details page. Safety cover, changing facilities and showers are available.
To keep everyone safe we have a spotter on the jetty and kayakers on the water accompanying swimmers. We operate a rota system and everyone that swims will be expected to kayak or spot on the jetty at some point. Please look out for emails from Dutyman allocating your time to kayak/spot.
If you are attending the swim sessions or working the rota please check out our safety video before coming to the reservoir.
- Briefing for Open Water Swimming at Ardingly
- Open Water Swimming Policy
- Risk Assessment
- Emergency Action Plan Ardlingly
- Kayak / Pontoon Safety guidelines
- Wetsuit Policy
- Non wetsuit training event
Open Water Swimming is also available at:
Forest Row RH18 5HT.
- Tuesday evening 430pm to 830pm
- Thursday evening 630pm to 830pm
- Saturday morning 630am to 830pm
Please refer to the Weir Wood website for details.
Please note that the sessions are not organised by the club and members swim at their own risk.
We may also meet for sea swimming but this is arranged on an individual basis. See Facebook for details of any forthcoming swims.