The Mid Sussex Tri Club Olympic and Middle distance triathlons taking place on Sunday 27th August 2017 with special guests from Leicester. This is our tri-extravaganza. All based from one of the most picturesque locations in Sussex. Race on the Bank Holiday weekend when all roadworks are suspended, and join family and friends for our traditional picnic on the grass afterwards. Race short or long distances, or race in a relay.
Swim is in reservoir, bike is undulating roads, run is alongside reservoir
There are 3 distance options available, both races take place at the same time so you can only do one.
- Sprint: 750m Swim / 23km Bike / 5km Run
- Olympic: 1.5km Swim / 40km Bike / 10k Run
- Middle Distance: 1.9km Swim / 80.5km Bike / 21.1k Run
- An open water swim over a 750m course in the Ardingly Reservoir
- A cycle route of approximately 23km that will be held entirely on open public roads, where there will be unrestricted vehicular, pedestrian and other traffic. It is a single lap course.
- A 5km run over a course that is mainly on off-road public footpaths and bridleways adjacent to Ardingly Reservoir. It is one lap on an out and back course with a cone marking the turning point.
- An open water swim over a 1.5km course in the Ardingly Reservoir. The course is 2 laps of an out and back route of 700 metres per lap (350 metres out - 350 metres back) with an additional 100 metre swim to the finish at the slipway.
- A cycle route of just over 40km that will be held entirely on open public roads, where there will be unrestricted vehicular, pedestrian and other traffic. The course is a single lap of the club middle distance route. It is a relatively testing and technical course, and
- A 10km run over a course that is mainly on off-road public footpaths and bridleways adjacent to the Ardingly Reservoir. It is 2 laps along a shortened version of the run route below, a cone will mark the turning point.
- An open water swim over a 1.9km course in the Ardingly Reservoir. The course is 2 laps of an out and back route of 900 metres per lap (450 metres out - 450 metres back) with an additional 100 metre swim to the finish at the slipway.
- A cycle route of 80.5km that will be held entirely on open public roads, where there will be unrestricted vehicular, pedestrian and other traffic. The course is 2 laps of an extended version of the Ardingly Triathlon route. It is a relatively testing and technical course, and
- A 21km run over a course that is mainly on off-road public footpaths and bridleways adjacent to the Ardingly Reservoir. It is 3 laps of the full run route below.
More detail for each route along with risk assessments are available for download here:
Cost: £20 (£23 non BTF) or £10 each member of a relay team.
Entry is for club members and invite only.
Entry is now close for 2017.
No person will be allowed to participate in any or all of the session without having completed the entry form and having paid the session fee.
All participants MUST attend the pre-session briefing that will be held at the transition area at 07:00. The event will start at 07:30.
The event will start and finish at Ardingly reservoir: Ardingly, Sussex, RH17 6SQ. Telephone: 01444 892 549. Full details of the facilities can be obtained on the Ardingly Activity Centre website.
Please remember that while this event has been registered with the BTF, it will not be fully marshalled. It is important that ensure your safety throughout the session. Please remember that the club's general policy is one that is predicated on the notion that we are all responsible individuals who appreciate the risks associated with our sport and, therefore, participate at our risk.
Changing and shower facilities are available at the Ardingly Activity Centre. There is a small café at the activity centre selling hot and cold drinks and various snacks and confectionary.
Please ensure that you park your cars in the public car park at the reservoir (charge £1). Do not attempt to drive beyond the car park entrance towards the reservoir or to park lower down the hill.
The transition area will be on the grass alongside the entrance to the car park. This will also be the finish of the course. Racking for bicycles will be set-up. There is no provision to leave any equipment/kit at the venue prior to the day. The schedule for the day is set out below.
All participants are responsible for their own hydration and nutrition throughout the session. Please make sure that you bring sufficient quantities of any supplements, gels etc that you may need. Bottled water will be available at:
- The transition area - which will serve the swim-cycle transition, the cycle-run transition and the southern turn around point for each lap of the run
- The southern turn around point of the run
Please remember that we are guests at the venue and that other people will be using it and its facilities.
Good luck to everyone.