The Mid Sussex Tri Club Olympic and Middle distance triathlons taking place on Sunday 24th August 2014 with special guests from Leicester. This is our tri-extravaganza. All based from one of the most picturesque locations in Sussex. Race on the Bank Holiday weekend when all roadworks are suspended, and join family and friends for our traditional picnic on the grass afterwards. Race short or long distances, or race in a relay.
Swim is in reservoir, bike is undulating roads, run is alongside reservoir
There are 2 distance options available, both races take place at the same time so you can only do one.
- Olympic: 1.5km Swim / 40km Bike / 10k Run
- Middle Distance: 1.9km Swim / 80.5km Bike / 21.1k Run
- An open water swim over a 1.5km course in the Ardingly Reservoir. The course is 2 laps of an out and back route of 700 metres per lap (350 metres out - 350 metres back) with an additional 100 metre swim to the finish at the slipway.
- A cycle route of just over 40km that will be held entirely on open public roads, where there will be unrestricted vehicular, pedestrian and other traffic. The course is a single lap of the club middle distance route. It is a relatively testing and technical course, and
- A 10km run over a course that is mainly on off-road public footpaths and bridleways adjacent to the Ardingly Reservoir. It is 2 laps along a shortened version of the run route below, a cone will mark the turning point.
- An open water swim over a 1.9km course in the Ardingly Reservoir. The course is 2 laps of an out and back route of 900 metres per lap (450 metres out - 450 metres back) with an additional 100 metre swim to the finish at the slipway.
- A cycle route of 80.5km that will be held entirely on open public roads, where there will be unrestricted vehicular, pedestrian and other traffic. The course is 2 laps of an extended version of the Ardingly Triathlon route. It is a relatively testing and technical course, and
- A 21km run over a course that is mainly on off-road public footpaths and bridleways adjacent to the Ardingly Reservoir. It is 3 laps of the full run route below.
More detail for each route along with risk assessments are available for download here:
- Olympic distance bike route risk assessment
- Middle distance bike route risk assessment
- Run route risk assessment
- Ardingly reservoir risk assessment
Cost: £20 (£23 non BTF) or £10 each member of a relay team.
Entry is for club members and invite only.
All proceeds after expenses go to the club charity.
Entry and Indemnity waiver forms will are available for download here:
You must complete the entry form and waiver/indemnity and hand them in person to Steve Alden, Mark Jordan or the session leader as soon as possible, together with the money to cover our costs.
No person will be allowed to participate in any or all of the session without having completed the forms and having paid the session fee.
All participants MUST attend the pre-session briefing that will be held at the transition area at 07:00. The event will start at 07:30.
In addition, and back by popular demand is our LIMITED
EDITION SPECIAL RACE T-SHIRT. For those who remember - these are
the shirts with the MSTC logo on the front and special motto on the
Who can forget the 'Tried, tested and Not found wanting' or ' Pain is just weakness leaving the body'
For this year we are going to put:
'If you have to ask you will never understand'
The prices on the entry forms do not include the T-shirt, which is £10 extra, (I just need to know size - S, M, L etc)
The event will start and finish at Ardingly reservoir: Ardingly, Sussex, RH17 6SQ. Telephone: 01444 892 549. Full details of the facilities can be obtained on the Ardingly Activity Centre website.
Please remember that while this event has been registered with the BTF, it will not be fully marshalled. It is important that ensure your safety throughout the session. Please remember that the club's general policy is one that is predicated on the notion that we are all responsible individuals who appreciate the risks associated with our sport and, therefore, participate at our risk.
Changing and shower facilities are available at the Ardingly Activity Centre. There is a small café at the activity centre selling hot and cold drinks and various snacks and confectionary.
Please ensure that you park your cars in the public car park at the reservoir (charge £1). Do not attempt to drive beyond the car park entrance towards the reservoir or to park lower down the hill.
The transition area will be on the grass alongside the entrance to the car park. This will also be the finish of the course. Racking for bicycles will be set-up. There is no provision to leave any equipment/kit at the venue prior to the day. The schedule for the day is set out below.
All participants are responsible for their own hydration and nutrition throughout the session. Please make sure that you bring sufficient quantities of any supplements, gels etc that you may need. Bottled water will be available at:
- The transition area - which will serve the swim-cycle transition, the cycle-run transition and the southern turn around point for each lap of the run
- The southern turn around point of the run
Please remember that we are guests at the venue and that other people will be using it and its facilities.
Good luck to everyone.
1. David GORLEY 21.56 1.15.09 38.05 2.15.10
2. Phil COUCH 24.00 1.18.37 39.30 2.22.07
3.Steve McMENAMIN 24.37
Dave JONES 1.12.08
Nikki DOW 50.53 2.27.38 (relay)
4. Gunter EIFLER 24.27 1.21.08 44.29 2.30.04
5. Colin CHAMBERS 25.17 1.22.18 43.26 2.31.01
6. Rob HOODLESS 26.34 1.23.39 41.41 2.31.54
7. Ewan EATON 26.42 1.21.48 43.50 2.32.20
8. Sandra WESTCOTT 30.42
Steve McMENAMIN 1.26.08
Helen GRAHAM 43.38 2.40.28 (relay)
9. Paul PEARCE 32.20 1.26.30 47.20 2.46.10
10. Charles LANGHORNE 31.31 1.27.19 52.32 2.51.22
11. Neil LEMMON 31.28 1.27.36 53.32 2.52.36
11. Hef LEWIS 26.07 1.36.18 50.11 2.52.36
13. Mike HOOK 31.35 1.31.41 49.28 2.52.44
14. Les FROST 26.28 1.30.54 57.41 2.55.03
15. Simon BARTON 26.12 1.36.00 55.11 2.57.23
16. Jason COLE 28.05
Brad WILLIAMS 1.35.54 60.51 3.04.50 (relay)
17. Dean Allen 40.08 1.42.46 61.54 3.24.48
18. Martin SHOESMITH 26.31 1.15.36 DNF
1. Hazel TUPPEN 25.23 1.30.32 46.28 2.42.23
2. Liane DAVIDS 30.40 1.35.20 44.17 2.50.17
3. Laurie ANDERSON 26.40 1.37.04 54.12 2.57.56
4. Barbara HEWITT 32.04 1.37.06 55.30 3.03.00
5. Ann PEARCE 32.26 1.41.22 51.30 3.05.18
6. Nicola COWLES 30.33 1.47.56 55.09 3.13.38
7. Julie WILLIAMS 32.35 1.47.12 59.13 3.19.00
8. Amanda DURRANT 37.54 1.49.11 55.51 3.22.56
9. Kay McMenamin 38.03 2.07.32 67.05 3.52.40
10. Kat KEMP 36.21
11. Emy PULLEN 43.20
1. Martin BURDER 32.58 2.41.07 1.32.02 4.46.07
2. Steve ALDEN 33.53 2.45.01 1.41.56 5.00.50
3. Jim GRAHAM 39.24 2.53.36 1.34.56 5.07.56
4. John MacTEAR 32.30 2.54.50 1.46.43 5.14.03
5. David BEALE 38.50 3.04.40 2.01.18 5.44.48
6. Ben WHITAKER 32.16 3.11.14 2.08.26 5.51.56
7. Derek HASTINGS 50.06 3.26.54 2.21.32 6.38.32
8. James DEAR 37.30 DNF 1.29.29 DNF
9. Matt CRITCHLEY 3.24.02 2.40.56
10. Mat RECORD 29.45
1. Kate MacTEAR 35.37 2.54.30 1.39.16 5.09.23 NEW COURSE RECORD
2. Emma TILBURY 35.40 3.08.40 2.02.10 5.46.30
3. Jenny ROBERTS 42.53 3.57.34 1.48.03 6.28.30
4. Jules Stuart-Colwill 40.46 3.24.02 2.40.56 6.45.44