Here are the course Details please familiarize yourself with them before the event.
Swim (400m pool)
Held in the competition 25m 8-lane pool. It will be a 'zig-zag' swim keeping to the left of the lanes, swim two lengths then change down a lane and so on till you run out of lanes (total 400m). It would be worth practising diving under the rope when you turn around as this will be much quicker than stopping and ducting under it
The first swimmer will start at 7.00am. Competitors will be put in the water in number order (staring at number 1, slowest to fastest) based on estimated swim times. At the end of the swim, exit through the double doors taking care as the surface may be slippery.
Please read the Swim Etiquette notes
T1 (Transition 1)
Transition will take place in the tennis courts. Please familiarise yourself with the entry and exit points prior to the race. After the swim, run through the Swim IN transition area entry point to your cycle and change into your cycle kit.
IMPORTANT NOTES: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CYCLE HELMET SECURELY FASTENED BEFORE TOUCHING YOUR BIKE OTHERWISE YOU FACE DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE EVENT.
When you are ready unrack your bike and wheel it to the transition exit Bike OUT. Mount your bike in the Bike mount/dismount box (marshalls will assist you). And then begin the cycle leg.
The cycle course is a 1 lap 25.5km course on country roads.
- Turn right at the mini roundabout to exit the Leisure
- Take first exit on the main roundabout and proceed along Jane Murray Way and turn at the next roundabout retracing back to the first roundabout.
- Turn left and proceed along the A2300.
- Turn right at the next roundabout towards Ansty.
- The road rises gently and is uneven in places. At the junction turn left, and left again at the mini roundabout onto the A272.
- A fast descent towards the roundabout at the A23. Take care on approach to the A23 roundabout.
- Continue across the roundabout on the A272 towards Cowfold.
- Follow this flat, windy road, past the Twineham junction.
- Turn left onto a small lane signposted to Wineham. Continue to the end of this road, and then turn left onto the B2116 towards Albourne.
- Proceed along this road until reaching a left turn into Twineham lane then follow this lane until you reach a signposted right turn into Hickstead Lane.
- Proceed along Hickstead lane until you meet the A2300 at the bridge over the A23.
- Take care here as there maybe fast approaching traffic from the right from the slip road.
- Carry along the A2300 straight back towards the Leisure Centre.
Important notes: Competitors are reminded that the Highway Code must be observed at all times. Any competitors caught cycling dangerously or with disregard for the Highway Code will be penalized. Drafting is prohibited. Any competitors caught drafting will be penalized. If you are overtaken, you must drop back 10 metres. Marshalls will be positioned at all turns on the course to guide and assist you. There will be signs to warn traffic but please take care as you proceed around the course.
T2 (Transition 2)
Cycle into the Leisure Centre car park, and dismount in the bike mount/dismount box (the marshalls will help you here). Wheel your bike through the Bike IN transition entry point and rack it at your kit point before removing your helmet.
IMPORTANT NOTES: MAKE SURE YOU RACK YOUR BIKE BEFORE REMOVING YOUR CYCLE HELMET OTHERWISE YOU FACE DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE EVENT.
Change into your running gear and head out of the Run OUT transition exit displaying at least one number on your front to begin the run.
The run course is an out and back route which takes you through the streets of Burgess Hill and out into the quiet lanes of the country side, finishing back in front of the Leisure Centre.
- Run out of the back of the Leisure Centre
from transition turn right out of the gate
- Follow the signs through the small residential streets to the junction of Sussex Way where you will be directed left onto Sussex Way by a marshal.
- Run on the right hand side pavement to the roundabout and turn right into Gatehouse Lane.
- Caution is required on Gatehouse Lane as the right hand pavement ceases, at the end of this pavement cross the road with caution and use the left hand pavement, although this is a dead end street cars may still present.
- At the dead end of Gatehouse Lane marshals will instruct you on crossing Jane Murray way. YOU MUST OBEY THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE MARSHALLS, this is for all athlete's safety.
- On your approach to the crossing the marshals will tell you if it is safe to cross BOTH lanes, if the marshal indicates it is safe to cross then you may do so, taking caution and using your own judgment to deem if it's safe for you to cross. if the marshal deems that its not safe to cross they will tell you to 'wait' and you must wait until the marshal indicates that its safe to cross, once told to 'go' you may cross, again taking caution and using your own judgment to deem if its safe for you to cross.
****FAILURE TO OBEY THE MARSHALLS AT THIS CROSSING WILL RESULT IN A 4 MINUTE TIME PENALITY!
- Once across Jane Murray Way run on the right hand side of the road to the turn point where the water station is located.
- Turn and follow your route back towards the Jane Murray Way crossing running on the right hand side of the road.
- Cross Jane Murray Way obeying marshals in the same manner as previously stated.
- Head back up Gatehouse Lane on the right hand side pavement, and then cross the road with caution to the left hand side pavement when it begins.
- At the roundabout turn left into Sussex Way and run back on the left hand side pavement carry on straight across the Saxby Road junction.
- At the roundabout turn left into Jane Murry way, Caution is advised here as there is no pavement just a hard shoulder.
- At the roundabout turn left into back to the Leisure Centre
- At the roundabout in the carpark turn left and you will be directed up a pathway to the field where the finish located 150m straight ahead.